Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

executing commands on a remote machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi_imported

IS-IT--Management
Oct 26, 2000
GB
Bit of a strange one this, but does anyone know how to send a command to a remote NT box to instruct it to run a program. I am fairly sure it is possible, working in a similar fasion to the 'shutdown' command which can be used to instruct remote servers to shutdown / reboot.

The big question is 'how do you do it?'

I hope someone can help, because it's either this or remote control software (pc anywhere / funksoft proxy)

Well, it depends on the commands you want to execute. Is this all command-line stuff? If so look in to implementations of ssh for NT. The following link is pretty generic:

I'd suggest looking in to O'Reilly's Securing Windows NT/2000 Servers for the Internet, in particular, chapter 4, for details on exactly how to implement it.

You can usually invoke this through a script file with little difficulty once it is set up.

Otherwise, if it looks like remote control is the way you will go take a look at VNC:

It works quite well and has the advantage of beeing free. It can also be invoked across ssh for increased security.

HTH,
John

Have you tried using the AT command
AT [\\computername] time [/INTERACTIVE] "command"

set the time to a couple of minutes ahead, and interactive if you want it to appear on the other machine

at \\somemachine 15:30 /interactive "cmd /c c:\batch.bat"

Hope this helps,
Darren

If you take a look at the Reskit for NT 4 there are a couple of utils like Remote.exe which allows you execute remote command lines on any network PC or Server and also rconsole which runs as a service. I would recommend remote.exe. Give it a go and let me know.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back