Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Executing an SSIS package/job from a user's PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2010
GB
Hello...

I have an SSIS package that runs on a 64bit 2008 SQL Server, works fine.

The bottom line is: I'd like a user to be able to kick off the package from their 32bit workstation. They don't have SQL Server or Management Studio installed.

I thought I was nearly there when I set up a Job to run the package and then set up a .bat file to run the Job as below

---------------------
echo Starting Job
echo.
"\\servername\c$\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\osql.exe" -S "servername" -E -Q"exec msdb.dbo.sp_start_job ' battest ' "

echo Job Done
pause
CLS
exit
----------------------

But I got an error message saying that OSQL.EXE is not a valid WIN32 application...

Am I going abour this the right way???

Cheers, Mike

2 ways to do it... You can install SQl express on the pc and run it from osql specifing the server and login cradentials.

or you can run if a program written in VB, VBA or C any ODBC complient language.

Simi

You do not need to install SQL Express if your only intent is to use osql.

osql was the command line utility that shipped with SQL2000. You can use SQLCMD instead, which is the command line utility shipped with SQL2005+.

You can download and install it from here:

Scroll down to:
Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Command Line Utilities

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back