Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Executing a session multiple times with different parameter values

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam93

Programmer
Jul 19, 2002
CA
Hi,

I have a requirement where I need to execute a session 8 times, once for each client.
For every client, a separate source file is used. All the 8 source files have same structure but ofcoarse data related to 1 particular client. However, these source files are only created one at a time. So we create the first source file and then process it through the session. Create the second source file and process it ... ans so on.

I am thinking of passing the client name as a mapping parameter into the session for whichever client we want to process the file. But this would require updating the parameter file 8 times. Since the same parameter file is used to all the sessions in the ETL process, and we would have other sessions running in parallel, I am just wondering if this is the correct way to do it. Can anyone think of another way of processing these files?

Thanks.

If you only have these 8 files to process using a single session (not a series of sessions), then I suggest creating 8 sessions using the same map and hard-code the file names in the sessions.

Otherwise you need a process to modify the parameter file between runs.

I'm not clear on why you would use a mapping parameter. If you're changing the file name, that would be a session parameter.

"I think we're all Bozos on this bus!" - Firesign Theatre [jester]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back