Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Execute without user knowledge 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwar2k1

Programmer
Apr 17, 2003
GB
Okay, that sounds a little dodgy maybe I should rephrase:

Execute in the background with no indication of execution, although the user has installed and accepted the licence agreement...

Im running a program that keeps a track of a persons hours worked. I need to be able to check the date every day which I would do on startup. That parts easy, just put a shortcut to the application in the start up folder. But i need it to determine the date, do some comparisons and exit without causing a disturbance to the user.

So i guess im asking for help with removing the application from the taskbar *unless* the app needs to be visible to the user.

Thanks in advance

~*Gwar3k1*~
"To the pressure, everything's just like: an illusion. I'll be losing you before long..."

You could do that with a non visible form that adds an Icon to the system tray instead of the task bar.

Here is a link to a code sample for a VB project that adds its icon to the system tray in its unload method, you would just want to do it (and the other functions you need to do) in the load method of an invisible form I guess.

Sounds like itll do the job. Thanks. star for the link

~*Gwar3k1*~
"To the pressure, everything's just like: an illusion. I'll be losing you before long..."

Star from me. Was searching for a way to hide my app but leave it accessible through tray.
Works perfectly. [thumbsup]

[blue]The last voice we will hear before the world explodes will be that of an expert saying:
"This is technically impossible!" - Sir Peter Ustinov[/blue]
HP:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back