Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Execute other Windows apps within MDI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barryp

Programmer
Jan 30, 2002
GB
Before I get REALLY bogged down - is this even possible for a programmer just learning visual C 6 ?

I want to write an MDI app which runs several other existing windows apps within MY window. It would be nice to 'tile' them so they are all visible. The idea is to visually compare the results of complex calcs. by viewing the results as vrml's. So I just run vrmlview.exe with a different file in each window (or frame if I'm using the wrong terminology).

Thanks & Merry Christmas

not possible because when a windows is a contained inside another (a child) its behaviour and the messages it processes the classes it is derived from are different to an overlapped or desktop level parent.

There are some tricks you can play. Do you need to interact with these apps or do you just wish to see their content ?

If you only wish to see their content you could hide the windows app and reproduce the contents of the windows app's WindowDC in your mdi child window and update it on a timer.

> you could hide the windows app and reproduce the contents
> of the windows app's WindowDC in your mdi child window and
> update it on a timer.

Do you have a clue how to do this? I have tryed to BitBlt() bits of the hidden window - the result were bits of underlying visible windows, not of the hidden picture.
My recent answerless question about it:

> I want to write an MDI app which runs several other
> existing windows apps within MY window.

I was told 4 years ago, that this is possible only if the external application is designed for it - has some sophysticated OLE interface, like AcroReader or Flash Player do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back