Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Executables Keep Starting on Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jckarel1

Technical User
Jun 17, 2002
GB
I think I may have had a virus which has subsequently been deleted. Every so often differing executables will appear in startup such as wowexec.exe without any prompt or cause.

I believe this had the affect of causing large amounts of memory dumps and network traffic. At one stage the server was broadcasting 50 requests to a forwarding DNS server every second!

Needless to say we brought it offline.

The problem now is that it still tries to broadcast traffic. And tries to connect to all sorts of strange internet sites. But obviously fails because I have pulled it offline.

Has anyone any ideas?

wowexec.exe is not a virus.
WOW is an application environment that runs as a user-mode program (the filename is wowexec.exe) and invokes one VDM for all Win16 applications to run in a 32bit environment.
(nt, 98, etc)
here is a link to a really good article detailing wowexec.exe, it's functions and instances.

so in my opinion there must be some other virus that is causing these broadcasts to be happening.
have you ran any spyware removal progs or trojan detection?
hope that helped clear up part of what you were seeing, but it still sounds like you have a trojan in there somewhere, or even spyware.
good luck let me know if i helped or not, thanks

Is there a virus that shows in the processes as "_wowexec.exe" - where the underscore is a space?

This is what I have, and I think it is a virus/or spyware.

I think people get confused between the wowexec.exe and the one with a space in front of it.

Anyone know?

I's sure that the legitimate wow service does have a space before it.

That said if you think you have a virus.... run a virus scanner.

The Peper trojan will show up as internal names of wowex32.exe and kern32.exe, they create random named processes and cannot be stopped from withing a Windows enviroment.
A Viruscan will not detect them, HiJackThis will list them running, if you know what they look like from naming schemes.
..post a HiJackThis log..instead of guessing:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back