Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Executable File with MSComm32 produces Error Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earnesto

Programmer
Oct 2, 2000
GB
Error Message " component 'mscomm32.oct' or one of its components not currently registered: a file is missing or invalid". On my PC if run the same exe does not give error but on other PC that does not have VB6 produces the above error. How can i deploy corectly ? [sig][/sig]

Do you mean mscomm32.ocx?

The problem you are running into is that the "information" for the mscomm32 file has not been entered into the registry on the target machine (without VB6), so when the program runs, it doesn't know how to use the control/component.
This control has been registered on the development machine, so the program can use the control there.
First, make sure that the mscomm32.oct (or mscomm32.ocx if that's what you meant) file exists on the target machine; it should be in the windows system directory.
Then you need to run "RegSvr32.exe mscomm32.oct" on the target machine. This will register the component, and should let the program run correctly.

I'm not sure how you are deploying it, but most deployment tools (Package and Deployment Wizard, Wise, etc.) have an option to automatically register components. Make sure this option is enabled.

Hope this helps.
Steve [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back