Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exec/system() performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

klaforce

Programmer
Mar 25, 2005
US
I have a complex algorithm for a backend portion of a website. I'm trying to research and see if it would be better performance wise to write the application in C and make an exec/system call from php?

The other option would be to code the entire algorithm in php. It would definitely be easier to perform the implementation in C (not sure if the algorithm can even be implemented in php totally), but I don't know the performance of exec.

Thanks for help in advance.

Keith

The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents.

i am not aware of any significant overhead in calling exec.

I normally use system() and have no complain!

--
SouthBeach
The good thing about not knowing is the opportunity to learn - Yours truly, 2008.

Try building a test app in both, use an insane amount of data, and see what works better.

it should always be quicker to use C. if for no other reason that php code needs to be interpreted each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back