Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.exe not copied by install if the version number is not updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsmiller

Programmer
Mar 4, 2004
US
I have a VB6 application that I use the Package and Deployment Wizard to create a setup package for. The problem I have is the install will not copy the new .exe file unless I compile the .exe with an updated version number. We have other VB applications that install just fine without changing the version number and I would like this application to act the same way.

Does anyone know if there is a setting within the application properties or in the Package and Deployment Wizard where you can specify whether or not to use the .exe version number to determine if the .exe file should be copied or not? I want to make sure the .exe gets copied no matter what.

We have tried setting the version number back to the default for a new project but that didn't seem to fix the problem.

Thanks!

You can create your own setup program or alter the one you are using if you wish. You will find the project where you installed VB. BUT PLEASE make a copy of first before you play with it.

BTW have you read FAQ222-2244?

Good Luck

I knew about the standard install project from doing a search on Microsoft's web site and I didn't post my question until after doing a search on Tek-tips and not finding anything that applies to my problem. I had already read the FAQ you provided, thanks.

I was hoping there would be someone out there that may have found a simpler way to insure all the files get installed without the trouble of creating a whole new application.

You don't have to create a whole new application. You just need to modify the one provided. Like I said/wrote/typed the install program is a project.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back