Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EXE Files Failing to Load - Association Needed? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastavic

Technical User
Feb 21, 2003
US
Hey,
How are you? My friend was messing around on my computer and now I have found a problem. I asked him what he did, and he said he might have deleted a few files by accident.

When I try to open any EXE files, a window pops up to tell me that "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folders Option control panel."

If possible, can you please help me? Thanks in advance.

ahhh...

Feel free to give your friend a slap in the head.

The icons you see on your desktop/start menue(s) are actually short cuts to a EXE.

Your friend deleted the exe file for the application you are trying to run. The only way to get it back is to either restore the file (if it's still in your trash) or re-install the application.

BitFuzzy

Actually, that may not be the case. It is possible to set a default action for EXE files (indeed, some viruses do this to ensure that they get executed whenever a program is run).

The only way around that is to reinstall Windows, because you can't get into the registry editor to take it out.

John

Quick thought though, you may be able to use System restore to revert the registry to a setting prior to when your friend fiddled with the computer. It is certainly worth trying.

John

Thanks for all of the replies. Fortunately, I did not have to resort to any of the advice given. I found this Web site ( and tried Solution 1 - it worked like a charm. I just thought that you guys should know. Thanks a lot for trying to help, of course! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back