Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EXE file name invokes UAC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2002
CA
I just compiled an old program after a minor change, and when I tried to test it to my amazement Win 7 UAC jumped in and asked if I wanted to let this program from an unknown publisher make changes.

Reply yes and the program runs fine.

So I went thru the program to see if it is doing anything unusual to trigger this annoyance and don't see a thing.

Then it occurred to me the name is TAZUpdate.exe. Rename the file to xyz.exe and run - no UAC. So it seems if an exe file name contains 'update' Win7 will not be amused. I feel SO protected!

Jock

This is part of what is called "legacy installer detection heuristics."

It can also be triggered by keywords in the EXE's extended properties (File Description, etc.) and possibly by "signatures" sniffed for in the PE file (the EXE itself). The full process isn't docmented because Windows Update may change it over time. Right now the big triggers are substrings like update, setup, or install.

It is meant to allow old-style "scripted installers" to work. Everyone should have moved to Windows Installer MSIs by now, but in reality there are a ton of people still using programs packaged with InnoSetup, the VB6 P&D Wizard, Wise Installer (WiseScript packages), etc.

Renaming the file works in simple cases like yours. Another fix is to add a "Vista aware" application manifest to the program (or in a file alongside it). However this can also blow up in your face like an exploding cigar if the program requires appcompat shims in order to run properly.

Thanks, Dilettante,good to know. I will just avoid those strings in prog names. Most of these old progs won't be running in Win7 anyway, except possibly in XP Mode assuming I can get IPX/NETX networking running in there.

Jock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back