Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excnage 2003 Active Sync

Status
Not open for further replies.

jawalla

MIS
Jul 16, 2002
CA
I have an Exchange 2003 server with 300 plus users. Will upgrade soon!

Is there an Activesync patch for the Exchange 2003 server so that users can sync directly on the excnage server from their handheld devices??

I have users sync'ing iPhones and Android devices but have only been doing that thru Active Sync installed on their desktop. They are setup with mail forwading from the Exchange server but that only forwards mail....will not sync contacts, calendars etc...

We are running the same version of Exchange and I am using Outlook Web Access server to get my mail on my iPhone. You need to set up the mail on your phone and enter the address (or name) of your OWA server and then your phone can send and recieve your mail through that server.

ActiveSync is installed by default on Exchange 2003 if your server is a Windows Small Business Server. If you have a non-SBS server (which I think you do) and you only have a single Exchange 2003 server, then there is a workaround you need to do that is detailed here:
Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

We use ActiveSync at our shop on a SBS2003 box. Works great with iOS, we dont use it on droid and wont until we upgrade to 2011. Policy enforcement on droids isnt good on 2003 IMO. I want to be able to enforce passcodes without the user being able to bypass it and have device wipe capability.

The site Shackdaddy gave you is a very good resource, here is another I referenced:

Here is the link to the ActiveSync web admin tool:

I used Petri.coms instructions to troubleshoot any problems. Check the bottom of the page of shackdaddys link, there are related ones.

Some tips that important: Use an SSL cert to encrypt traffic to and fro. Your credentials match your AD user credentials and you dont want those transmitting in the clear. You can enable OMA at the user level in AD, disable it for anyone not using activesync. Enforce passcode policies and be able to wipe the device to protect against data being compromised.

Hope that helps,

varrius (Just another sysadmin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back