Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exclusive mode error

Status
Not open for further replies.

imstuck

MIS
Sep 27, 2000
US
I get an error when trying to compact an Access database on a NT network. It says that the database is open exclusively by person A on machine A. But person A does not have it open, nor is her machine even on! What would make a database think it is opened exclusively when it is not even open on any systems and it is setup to be opened in shared mode on all the stations?

Thanks--

A possibility is that there may be a leftover .ldb file in the same directory as the database. If no one is using the database at all, there should be no .ldb file. It can be deleted.
Even if it is set to be shared, the person compacting the database need exclusive access to it, I believe. That's what I have always encountered with my databases (using Access 2000).

Wiznane is dead on with his answer. Sometimes we also have to go to our server manager and close all the resources that are open for the database, then delete the .ldb file manually. The .ldb file is usually orphaned when the user improperly exits the database or the database becomes corrupt.

Mike Rohde
rohdem@marshallengines.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back