Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

excluding directories w/out exclude list

Status
Not open for further replies.

skramer

IS-IT--Management
Nov 30, 2009
DE
Hi,

is there a possibility to exclude whole directories starting at a certain point?

What I want to do is to make sure that I am backing up everything. For example, if a user is creating a directory and is not letting me know that he did so, I will not find out that I am not backing up everything.

I know I can run a coverage report but it is much work to check it. I could only afford to spend that much time once a month and that would not help.

I would like to put a marker-file in each directory I am backing up or which does not need to be backup up. And then define a policy which backs up everything which does not have this marker-file. So if somebody creates a new directory I will notice because this policy will start backing up data - otherwise the incrementals will be empty.

Any advice or suggestion?

Thanks,

Steph

I don't understand why you simply don't back everything up using ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES as the filelist. If a new filesystem is added you will back it up automatically. if a filesystem is removed you will not get an error. It is easy to maintain.

Bob Stump
VERITAS - "Ain't it the truth?"

I cannot backup ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES because of 2 reasons:

- it is too much data to gather in one policy
- there are many directories which should not be backuped

If disk space is not a problem, you could do this with a script with a test statement. Copy the files/directories you want to backup to a backup directory via the script and then let Netbackup back up that directory only. Just time the script and the backup policy so they don't step on each other. As long as you are over writing that space each day, you won't have disk space issue too badly either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back