Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excluding columns of a report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pingman

Programmer
Jan 27, 2001
US
I am working on a database in which I need to exclude a column or columns of a report(they come from a table) based on which report choice the user chooses from the switchboard. Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch.

I don't think this is a toughie. I create most of my reports by building a query first and then generate the report from that query. This way gives me much more control over my report.
I'd just create two different queries based on the different users menu choices available. Then I'd generate a separate report for each query choice. I don't use Visual Basic because these queries and report wizards are just so powerful.
Johnstown, OH

If your working off the same query, but showing different fields based on the user, I would create the report through the Report Wizard, and throw all of the query fields on the report. Then, I would simply make a copy of the original report and rename it something else.

Go to the design view for each report, and either make the fields and labels the users don't need invisible, by right-clicking "Properties/Visible-Yes/No", or delete them all together.

Take that "new" report and link it to the appropriate choice on your switchboard. When the user clicks "his" box, "his" report is generated.

That way you don't have create multiple queries which eat up space--report designs take up less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back