Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excluding an external hard drive from the Removable Device Scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

DayLaborer

Programmer
Jan 3, 2006
US
How can I make an exception to the Removable Device Scan so that it doesn't scan every file on my 1 TB external hard drive every time I plug it in? It's always the same letter "F" as far as the drive mapping goes.

I was able to exclude it from Resident Shield, but couldn't find any option to exclude it from the Removable Device Scan.

I'm using AVG 8.5 Free.

Thanks,
Eliezer

I don't believe that you can exclude it.

I have a 500 GB external drive which I plug in before starting up my computer. I disabled the Removable Device Scan and included the drive in the Resident Shield. That way the files will be scanned when accessed.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.

This is ridiculous. Everything's ok until I start my backup copy. What used to take 45 minutes is now running close to 24 hours!

I've tried disabling the Removable Device Scan, like you recommended, cmeagan, but instead of hearing constant writing on the external hard like I used to, it's now only occassionally writing to the external drive. What exactly is it doing instead of backing up my hard drive?

Any ideas? This is insane... Must I uninstall AVG to run a backup?!

Thanks,
Eliezer

In your Resident Shield settings do you have "Scan file on close" checked? If so, try unchecking it.

I have an external 500 GB WD MyBook that is always plugged in. It shows a a local disk (F:) in My Computer. It takes me under 1 hour to back up 50 GB of data. I use AVG 8.5 Free Edition.

Hope this helps.

Scan file on close" was (and still is) unchecked. And like I mentioned before, I still have the entire drive excluded from the Resident Shield, anyway...

We're now in the 28th hour of this backup and only at 83% complete...

At this point I'd be looking at an issue with something other than AVG 8.5 Free. Since you have the Resident Shield disabled on the external drive and disabled thee Removable Device Scan (which, I believe, only runs when you first plug the drive in) then AVG is more or less ruled out.

I'd try posting in either the PC hardware - Hard drive issues Forum forum751 or the -General Back-up discussion Forum forum531 forums.

Hope this helps.

I will try posting there as well, but I really do[/do] think that it is an AVG issue: it only started when I installed it. I never had any such issues with my backups prior to AVG. Like I said previously, it used to complete in 45 minutes - now even 24 hours isn't long enough...

I haven't been able to backup my home PC in weeks, and I'm getting nervous about it...

Is there an easy way to deactivate AVG entirely without uninstalling it to attempt a backup?

cMeagan, per your suggestion, I referenced this post over here:
thread531-1562182

Thanks,
Eliezer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back