Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exclude first two records from Sum in query 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stupiet

Programmer
Aug 21, 2001
US
To anyone who can help,

I have a query that I need to create.
In a table I got a list of records that shows the employee along with the points that they earned for a specific task.

Here is my problem. Only the points earned in the last 12 months are valid. So I created a query that lists all records for the last 12 months only.

Then I have to create a sum for each employee on how many total points they earned over the last 12 months. The problem is I have to disregard the points they received for the first two tasks.

Here is a sample scenario. Assume today's date is 9/8/08.
Below are records for employee #21

EMPL POINTS DATE
21 1.5 9/1/2007
21 0.5 10/5/2007
21 1 3/29/2008
21 1.5 5/1/2008
21 2 7/14/2008
21 1 8/8/2008

So record 1 is not counted in the total since the date was more than 12 months ago.
The total sum then is 0.5+1+1.5+2+1 = 6
However, the first two records are not counted, so I'm looking to only have the following sum: 1.5+2+1 = 4.5

For each employee these dates vary so I can't just set a date rule. Also, the points vary as well, so I can't just subtract a fixed number.

Please let me know if you have a solution to this problem. I just can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

Sometimes, it is just make sense to write some VBA code to do what you want.

This seems to be a good example where VBA code makes good sense.

Just write a small VBA function to open the dataset and loop through all the records.

This way, you can skip the records you want.

Either let the function return to you a total, or write the desired records to a temporary table.

Hope This Helps,
Hap...

Access Developer [pc] Access based Accounting Solutions - with free source code
Access Consultants forum

After you do your filtering, you can use some VBA to skip over the first two records. Here's some code that you might use:

Private Sub Command2_Click()
Dim tot As Single
Dim RS As DAO.Recordset
Set db = CurrentDb()
Set RS = db.OpenRecordset("Extract_Two_Records_Table", dbOpenDynaset)
RS.MoveFirst
RS.MoveNext
RS.MoveNext
Do Until RS.EOF
tot = tot + RS![Time]
RS.MoveNext
Loop
Me![Text0].Value = tot
End Sub

Initially I wanted to avoid using VB, but after using your code it works like a charm. Thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back