Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exclude by MAC-address on W2K DHCP-server? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddlink

Technical User
Jan 10, 2002
SE
Hi!

Is it possible to tell the DHCP-server not to reply to the client based on the MAC-address?

I have a large subnet with 100+ computers and 2 DHCP-servers. I would like to tell the main DHCP-server NOT to give IP to clients based on MAC-address. Then I tell the second DHCP-server to respond only on those MAC-addresses.

Is this possible?

Thanx

It sounds like classid would do the trick for you. This can be done with one DHCP server. You must have W2K or greater for your clients and server.

In a nutshell you can use classid to identify a computer (as say, "desktop" or "laptop") and assign longer or shorter leases, or whatever options you desire.

How to configure DHCP client:

To configure a class id on the server:

Respect!

That is exactly what i was looking for!

(in a link from your links:)

"Depending on the context, only those DHCP clients that identify themselves according to the selected class are distributed options data you have configured specifically for that class. For example, if a class-assigned option is set at a scope, only clients of that scope that indicate class membership during leasing activity are configured with class-assigned option values. Other non-member clients are configured using scope option values set from the General tab."

Thanks alot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back