Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchnage 2003 reinstallation

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcephus

Technical User
Apr 28, 2005
CA
Hello,

A little background first. I have my Primary DC Controller on the same server as Exchange and I am looking to put the two on seperate servers. What is the best method I can use to get this done? I plan to load Windows server 2003 on an HP DL145 and put and restore AD from some backup data. After that how would I go about restoring the exchange infomratoin from backup tape?

Why do this? Why not just install the 2nd server on the box you want then copy the mailboxes over. Plus you could then use the 2nd server as a failover is need be (especially if you have 2 public IPs, setup the "empty" server as MX2)

The reason I am doing it this way is because the second server is going to be a lower end server and since we dont have that much people in our organization AD will work fine on it. Plus, when you demote a DC to a member server and if you had Exchange installed on it some of exchange functionality will not work.

I'm still looking for the best practice in this regard.

Are you keeping the original server name for the DC or Exchange server? If youre going to keep it for Exchange, I would recommend just doing a disaster recovery install. Here is a link to and MS KB article describing how to move Exchange to new hardware and keep the same server name without a lot of hassle:

Hope this helps.

Travis

As for the "AD restore from backup data", when you run DCPROMO to install the new box as a DC, the AD database is brought over...no need to restore at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back