Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange2003 cannot send internal messages to Exchange2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 2006
US
We currently added an Exchange server to the environment. The new Exchange server(2003) is able to receive messages from internal and external email sources. It can also send external messages. However, it cannot send internal messages.

My other Exchange(2000) can send and receive all types of messages from anywhere. That's not a problem.

Does anyone have any ideas why Exchange can't send internal messages to my other Exchange server?

Are they both in the same Exchange site? Both servicing the same domain?

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Yes, they are at the same site and servicing the same domain.

And does the second server use the first to deliver email?

Regards,

Mark

Yes, it does! Sounds like you know where my problem is.

Eventually, I will have to retire Exchange 2000

No actually I'm just verifying you are set up correctly.

So just to be certain here, when you go on the Exchange 2003 box and navigate to server in Exchange System Manager, you see both servers right?

How about when you do the same on the 2000 machine?

Are either of the servers DCs?

What Service Pack level are each of the Exchange Servers at?

Regards,

Mark

On both of my Exchange servers, I do see both of the server names on in Exchange System Manager.

The old Exchange 2000 server is the Domain controller. The new Exchange 2003 is not a domain controller. It only has the ADC.

Exchange 2000 Server is currently under SP 3 and Exchange 2003 server is currently under Service Pack 2.

OK, why do you have the ADC if you are Windows 2000? Do you still have NT4 BDC? The ADC is only needed for legacy use.

When you installed Exchange 2003 SP2 did you install the Exchange 2003 tools on the DC? Did you install Exchange 2003 SP2 on the DC?

Regards,

Mark

After playing around with it, I finally got the problem resolved. The issue was the SMTP Virtual Server was not setup with the old Exchange 2000's IP address. Now everything is moving around nicely. Thank you Markdmac for being as helpful as you could.

Sorry that took so long to find. That was one of my questions above.
And does the second server use the first to deliver email?

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back