Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange through ISA: internet mail... connectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lionelbrown

Programmer
Apr 9, 2001
US
I just installed Exchange 2003 Standard on a Win 2003 Standard box. We are behind an ISA 2000 firewall. My internal domain is company.local and my public domain is company.com. I had no problems when I tested internal email using user@company.local. I changed the policy for all users for SMTP to be @company.com as their primary email and repointed the public IP for email (on ISA) from my old mail server's private IP (nonexchange server) to the new Exchange server's private IP using the Secure Mail Wizard in ISA. I tested and was able to receive external email (hotmail, etc.), but not send to external addresses. I then used the Internet Mail Wizard in Exchange to set up an Internet Mail connector. It appears to be working somewhat (although I haven't tested much yet).

My question: is this the correct setup for sending email to external addresses? Should the virtual SMTP server be able to handle this without an Internet Mail SMTP connector? I think the setup I created made the exchange server a "Bridgehead" server. Is this necessary with only 1 exchange server?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back