Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Store vs. Account Attributes

Status
Not open for further replies.

allanrxx

Programmer
Feb 25, 2004
US
Hi,

I have done some work on an old Exchange 5.5 server running on NT 4 that now has a corrupt information store. The machine is pretty outdated hardware-wise as well. My question is.....is a simple directory import/export likely to cause corruption of the information store? I have done some exports of the recipient list and imports for some updated users recently.....and thats the only thing out of the ordinary that I know has happened on the machine(or that I'm told has happened on the machine). Exchange has kicked back any imports that were not formatted correctly, so I don't believe any malformed data has been put back into the system.

I'm just trying to find out if the timing is coincidence, or if attributes modified by imports/exports are linked closely with information store values or if they're notorious for corrupting the information store. (No key fields like primary nt account or directory name or alias name...etc .. have been changed in the imports)

Thanks in advance for any input.

It's really impossible to tell from the information you have given, but I would think it unlikely. Directory import/export is just that: modification of the dir.edb, not the priv.edb or the pub.edb (Exchange keeps the directory and its log files in a seperate database from the store stuff). Sure, there are linkages between the directory and the info store via the code, but you'd have to really screw with the directory to stuff the store.

Maybe the store has been corrupt for a while? ARe you practising good store management? (no circular logging, regular online backups, daily backup log checking?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back