Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange storage limit to capacity 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lengoo

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2002
GH
Hi All
I have the Exchange 2000 standard software and it's reached it's 16 gig limit. At this point, Exchange dismounts the store. I can't even get to it to remove some accounts and tidy up.
The store is now offline and I am doing a compact on it which will take hours. Does anyone have any other ideas should this go wrong? I am thinking of building an Exchange server tomorrow as my contingency plan!!

HELP!!!

16 Gig is a lot of mail. I don't know how many users are involved, but still.
Put limits on the mailboxes before this happens again.
Also, run the Mailbox Manager to cleanup old messages and get your users to archive old mails.
You will find users having multiple copies of mails with attachments, mostly the same but updated, have them do a springclean. [sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC! - Marc
[/sub]

Once the store dismounts, you need to try defragging and cleanup. Then mount the store, go to Exchange Manager and find the worst culprits for size and have them clear a load of stuff manually - i.e. sit with them. Do that with a dozen people and then dismount and defrag and you should have a much smaller database.

Thanks guys,
I ran a eseutil /d on it.. i knew it was gonna take ages so went home for a kip. Woke up 4am and finished the job off.. it worked!
The alternatives were to put another Exchange server in place and move over the mailboxes or install an evaluation version of the Enterprise edition which you can download from the web but this really commits you into purchasing the product. However, if the company was down during the day the cost of this would be negligable.. thanks so much for the help!

One more alternative. I recently found a hotfix that allows you to apply it to the Exchange server. It increases the store by 1 Gb wich should then allow you to be able to naturally go in and do some cleaning up. Hot fix is 218153_ENU_i386_zip.exe . Per Q813051.

tpulley, do you have a link to that file? I couldn't find any references on Microsofts site.
thanks, Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back