Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange storage groups - space issues 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lengoo

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2002
GH
HI All,
My primary storage group on my Exchange 2003 server is running low on space so we've put in another set of disks and moved some Exchange accounts onto this newly created storage group. However, I've moved the equivalent of around 10 gigs so far but this space hasn't been relinquished on the previous storage array.
I've run the backup and logs have been flushed but still, no space saving.
I've noticed that the system attendant message mentions that after online defragmentation there should be a load of space released but this does not appear so.
Any ideas what I must do?
Thanks

I've noticed that the system attendant message mentions that after online defragmentation there should be a load of space released but this does not appear so.
Does this mean you did run and offline defrag? If so, which switches did you use? Also, after moving the users did you do a cleanup on the storage group?

No.. I've not taken anything offline as the operation we have here is a 24 hour one so I can't really do it that way unless it's a weekend jobby!

If one moves users, does one need to take the database offline and run the eseutils or does the space sort itself automatically?

Thanks

The online defrag job run by system attendant will release so called white space which Exchange can then re-use to stop the databases taking up more disk space.

However the only way to free up the real disk space used by that white space is to do an offline defrag.

If you can live with the backup times don't worry about your older storage group, just check that the white space doesn't get too low so the physical database files don't start expanding again.

Are you running mailbox management to automatically clear older e-mails, deleted items etc. etc.?

Neill

Great, thank you.. just one question... how do I check the white space isn't filling up?

Look for event 1221 in your application logs. It will tell you how much whitespace is in the database.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back