Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mot98

MIS
Jan 25, 2002
CA
Hi All,

Running Netshield 4.5 and Groupshield 4.5 here. Everything has been running fine for the last year, but suddenly we are experiencing problems.

The Information Store has been crashing and hanging. The only culprit I can find is mcafee...

Has anyone seen this problem before??

Thanks,
mot98
[cheers]

"Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
- Chessmaster Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower (1887-1956)

What does the event log say? Or was it a very educated guess that McAfee was at fault? Did you update anything on the Exchange server?

AVChap
... my $1 worth of advise, 2cents isn't enough due to inflation

We have seen similar, a net stop on the groupshield services looks as though it completes successfully (and in services, it shows stopped) but the process is still running. As such, exchange can't close.

Nothing has been updated on the exchange server.

I first noticed this when I checked my backup logs, and it told me that it could not communicate with the Exchange Information Store.

I checked out the process on my server and the "Store.exe" hogging up huge memory, and appears to be hung.

After stopping and restarting the service, it starts performing fine. But then after a while it gets hung up again.

Any ideas...???

mot98
[cheers]

I have been seeing the same problem with my Exchange 5.5 SP4 servers that you are having with yours. I am using GroupShield 5.0 and NetShield 4.5. I have been working with Network Associates for months to resolve this problem but so far, nothing that I have tried has worked. Installing NetShield 4.5 SP1 and the latest hotfix has fixed the McShield.exe crashing problem that was also causing the store.exe to crash but we are still seeing problems with the store.exe freezing. If I stop the NetShield and GroupShield services on my servers, the problem does not appear but as soon as I start the services, it's a matter of days before the IS on the servers lock up. Everyone I've spoken to at NAI thinks that this is a NetShield issue and not a GroupShield issue. I am now working with NAI second level support and there are a number of things that I will be trying:

1. Remove NetShield
2. Apply latest GroupShield Service Pack
3. Run GroupShield for several weeks to verify if problem persists
4. Apply service pack for EPO Agent
5. Install Virus Scan 7.0 instead of NetShield.
Two different technicans that I've spoken to stated that using Virus Scan 7.0 instead of NetShield 4.5 may resolve the problem.

Other solutions that have been suggested to me:
Change GroupShield scanning method from API to Message Store Scanning (this helped with another program crashing)
Verify that correct exclusions exist in NetShield
Change the scan time out value for NetShield in the registry (there's a NAI KB article with the values)
Exclude file paths over 256 characters long from NetShield scanning

I hope that you have better luck with this than I have. If I find that steps 1 through 5 resolve our issues, I'll post to let you know.

Just an update...

After contacting Mcafee, they provided me with "HotFix 8" for Groupshield 4.5

I applied this, and it appeared to work as the "Store.exe" process did not hang up right away. However this morning it has started hanging up again.

They also recommended upgrading to Groupshield 5.0, so I am going to try that tonight.

I will keep you posted.

mot98
[cheers]

TDun.

Can you help me at all?
I notice that you talk about using the "net Stop" command to stop GroupShield services.
What are the parameters used for the GroupShield services with the "Net Start" command?

Can you help

Regards
acoustic24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back