Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Server Name Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtorres

MIS
Sep 25, 2002
US
I have about 120 users running Office XP with Outlook. There Outlook is configued to point to my Exchange mail server and due to some network changes, I need to change the name of the Exchange Server. Once the user launches Outlook, it is going to look for the old server name. My question is, will it promt them to imput the new server name or will they have to select "work offline" and then configure it once Outlook opens up while running offline?

Also, is there a way to make this change transparent to the user so when the server name does get changed, there Outlook will automatically pick up the new server name?

Any help is appreciated

"D"

If you are using mandatory profiles, you will have to configure them individually. Otherwise, theoretically it will pick up the new box automatically and keep it. There could be an issue if you don't have the old name available as outlook tries to look for the old name first and can hang if it can't find it.

Cheers
Chris

If you have a WINS server online put the old server name in as a static entry pointing to the IP of the new server. The outlook profiles will pick up the new home server name the first time the user logs on and update the profile accordingley. The new server name will not be picked up automatically if the old name cannot be resolved.

Chris.
Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Not running WINS. Could I create a registry edit that the end user lauches or runs duing a login script to change it?

What you cuold also do, is create an Hosts and LMHosts file. Send it off to all the users and get them to save it in the right folder. Also add some entries for future Exchange servers if you think you might expand, thus eliminating the need of changes in the future.

Hope this helps?

[thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back