Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Server is Unavailable

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmurphy

Technical User
Nov 9, 2001
US
I have a few users who when opening Outlook receives the following message:

Your Microsoft Exchang Server is unavailable.
You can retry connecting to the server using the network or work offline and connect using dial-up networking.

The network did not respond in a timely fashion to determine the existence of an Exchange Server, you may retry and continue waiting for a response or work offline.

Retry Work Offline Help.

They will click retry and wait about 5 minutes then Outlook will load with their messages (in house messges, they are not connected to the internet). Why does this happen, is there a fix for this and will some one share that info with me, please?

This sounds like a network speed issue, try adding the ip address and serever name in the hosts file of one of the problem units and test that
i.e 192.168.5.123 servername

Long distance and/or line interference will drop packets on port 443 required by Outlook clients to communicate with Exchange. If this is the case, slow down your user with 10MBit ethernet in half-duplex mode.

I put the server name in and I get the same error message. It is now happening to several of my users.

I'm not sure where to go to make the change to slow down the eithernet. Could you help me out, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back