Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange server goes down in 10 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom22london

Programmer
Mar 11, 2003
US
As soon as Exchange server starts it operation, after 10 minutes the IMS and Information Store services goes down completely.

Please help me out

Start with checking why, this does not mean a thing to us.
Check the Eventlogs for Exchange entries.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

look in the \exchsvr\imcdata\out [directory] and move anything in there to a temporary directory then see if Exchange stays running. My guess is there is a piece of mail that the service does not like. If it stays running then move the files back in a few at a time until you hit one that craps out the service then completely delete that message, you could open the message with notepad and try to see where it is coming from

Steve Bowman
steve.bowman@ultraex.com

If you can't get anywhere (I had a similar problem) and you have already followed up the leads from any events in event viewer then try the following:

1. Reinstall the IMS

If that fails

2. Try renaming/moving the database directories and logs and starting IS with new databases. If store + IMs stays up longer then it's a problem with the databases.

3. If step 3 made no difference try re-installing exchange.

4. If the databases are at fault then either; attempt to repair the databases or use exmerge while store is running in order export the email to pst files. Then use exmerge to inport data back into fresh databases.

From experience repaired databases end up going wrong after a short time anyway seeing as store will stay up for a time you could get away with the exmerge route. You just might have to restart the process when store crashes.

see: Q272570 for info on database corruption

and Q259688 for more on exmerge

By the way if you do go for reinstalling exchange make sure you know the site and organisation names. They will need to be the same or the databases won't work!!

Well - there is also a documented DoS against Exchange 5.5 - where there is patch available. I posted a similar thread a few days back.. and i have implemented all the appropriate patches..

This KB is dated last October - this is a very recent event! I would suggest everyone of us installing it...

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back