Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exchange server errors after rebooting.. HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannaBgeeksquad

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2006
US
Ok so i have a server with small business edition and im implementing exchange on this. So far i have all the users inputted and changed all dns records to this server. For time being i have used POP to get emails to employees, which was running fine.

THE PROBLEM- my tape drive wasnt initializing for a tape back up, so i updated driver and rebooted. first of all it took between 3 and 4 hours to reboot. then after that none of the employees can POP anymore and i checked all services are running ok. when i try and modify services it gives me an hour glass for 20 min before i just end process.

NOW- im at a loss, no emails for almost 24 hours and im thinking im gonna end up reformatting this and losing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

POST and RAID init times normal? 3-4 hours just for windows to load?

Can't access the services applet? You've either got a disk on it's way out or you've been hit with malware.

POST and RAID are fine its sticking on the OS load. i actually figured the problem out, i ended up having to boat into safe mode, and i saw my APC software agent was running. i uninstalled that and it was fine. the APC powershute software is for a UPS to tell server to shut down if we get a power outage.

but thanks

I had similar heartaches with Powerchute telling my server to shut down, even though the power situation was fine. It turned out that someone had changed some of the settings within the software so it was triggering when it wasn't supposed to.

There is a known issue with a certificate expiration in APC software. Don't recall all of the details, but it did cause booting problems. IIRC, there was a simple resolution.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Shot in the dark, but is DNS correctly configured?

CCNA, CCDP, Net+, A+
Work Smarter, Not Harder....
This was supposed to be the future.....Where is my JetPack?!

May not be your issue, but in the past, i've had similar problems when bad DNS lookup zones were configured. Does it get to the blank, blue desktop screen with the box saying "preparing netwrok connections" (or something like that) and then lock up for hours, or is it before that point?

CCNA, CCDP, Net+, A+
Work Smarter, Not Harder....
This was supposed to be the future.....Where is my JetPack?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back