Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Server DC Promotion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbolya

ISP
Jul 21, 2000
US
I have Exchange 2003 running on 2003 SBS. I configured it as a member server on the domain before being told via messenger popup (and my 'after-the-fact' research) that Microsoft insists SBS be configured as a DC within seven days of installation, or face a system shutdown.

Of course, I already got everything running, and I was wondering if there were any issues with promoting a running 2003 server, with Exchange, to a DC.

Active directory is on 2000, but I'm running adprep right now.

Thanks

You will need to uninstall Exchange to be able to change the server to a DC. Once Exchange is installed, a server is locked into that mode.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Well, I've completed the promotion, and there doesn't seem to be any ill-effects. I'd also like to move Exchange to a member server (it's already there -- would just like to remove it from SBS). I just hope SBCore doesn't have a cow and insist on shutting down the server in the future.

Thanks for the help, folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back