Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Server 6.5 logging IISLOG System errors 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgeils

IS-IT--Management
Dec 8, 2008
US
We are running Exchange 6.5 on a Windows 2003 server and the System Event log is filling up with the following error:
"IIS Logging was unable to create the directory e:\exchsrvr\LogFiles\SMTPSVC1. The data is the error"
We do not have an e:\ drive on this server.I checked IIS and there was no indication of a logging file pointing to this location. However, about 3 months ago, we migrated to this new Exchange server and dismounted the old mail server ((but it is still on the network). Could there be some historical file on the old server or the proxy (which routes internet mail) causing this error?

There is no Exchange 6.5...I assume you mean 5.5? or Exchange 2003?

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

Turn off IIS logging, run iisreset and turn it back on. If that doesn't fix it, look in that folder and do some archiving.

Do you review the IIS logs regularly? If not, turn off the logging and leave it off?

Sorry, we are running Exchange 2003. I will try your suggestions Zelandakh, thank you.

I checked all of the logging configurations on the Mail server and they are all pointing to C:\windows\system32.Nothing is pointing to the e:\ directory. Any ideas on "what" could be pointing to this directory?

Something has to be trying to send this information to the e:\exchsrvr\LogFiles\SMTPSVC1 location or else I wouldn't be getting this error message every 10 seconds. It says the source of the message is IISLOG and is coming from the current Mail Server. I wonder what is meant by "The data is the error". And the error message (as originally stated in this thread) says that IIS Logging was unable to create the directory. Why would IIS Logging be trying to send a log file to this location if none of the websites in IIS are congiured to send it there. They are all configured to go to c:\Windows\System32\LogFiles. Could it have to do with the old mail server which did have an e:\exchsrvr folder? If so why? Any assistance, again, is greatly appreciated!

Search for the path on E in the registry. At least then you'll know what is happening.

Post the branches with that path in the data and we'll take it from there.

I searched the registry for e:, e:\, e:\exchsrvr\LogFiles\SMTPSVC1,and SMTPSVC1 but returned nothing. Am I searching the registry incorrectly?

I'm sorry to post this here, but I am having an issue with this site. I can log in just fine. However, when I come to this forum to start a new thread, I am asked to log in (again). When I log in (again), I am taken back to the home screen and the whole dance starts again. Is there a FAQ or something that I can look at to see what I am doing wrong?

Nicholasvdb, I am new to this. How do I locate teh default SMTP Server to shut off logging? I went to IIS Manager and shut off logging for the default website. This did not stop the looging error. I also stopped logging for the parent directory "Web Sites". this still did not stop the error. I believe the problem lies with the transition from our old mail server to the new one which was put online a few months ago.The old server had an "e:\" drive and IIS logging was able to create the directory "e:\exchsrvr\logfiles\SMTPSVC1". I have checked every directory which creates logging on the new server and they all point to "c:\windows\system32\logfiles". What could have caused IIS to continue to try and create this directory during the initial installation? could it have been a file which was copied over by the previous Administrator from the old server to the new one? Any suggestions?

The logging for the Default SMTP Virtual Server is located in the System Manager - Administrative Groups - <AG NAME> - <SERVER> - Protocols - SMTP - Default SMTP Virtual Server, right click and disable the logging on the first tab.

Nicholasvdb - You solved my problem! Thank you. It was the SMTP Virtual Server logging configuration that was pointing to the e:\ directory. I have changed it to point to c:\program files\exchsrvr\logfiles and now I am not gettign the logging error any more!!! Thank you once again!-rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back