Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Server 2000 installation fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonaedwards

IS-IT--Management
May 18, 2003
SV
I am attempting to install Exchange 2000 in a test domain, but during the install, the program hangs during the setup of the Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration. Specifically, when attempting to install the "Site Replication Service and Database and initializing", the progress hangs and fails to proceed any further. I have cancelled the install after waiting for 30 minutes or so. I have attempted the installtion three times with the same result. The only information I can get on the problem is from Microsoft ( which provides little help. Does anyone know why this is happening? Or what I can do to get it to work? I am at a loss.

Thanks

Jason

There are so many registry changes by Exchange, that sometimes after a fail, you cannot reinstall. You have to force a complete uninstall and then reinstall. I was asked to use a MS utility one time to make that happen.

Steve

I am having a simular problem except, setup stops with an error "An invalid ADSI pathname was passed.
ID no. 80005000" while running Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration. Here's what I'm trying to do.
I have a single Exch2K server running on a 2K domain. I am trying to build a backup server that can be brought online if my primary server dies. I loaded a secondary server with windows 2K, joined it to the domain with a temp address. Downed my primary exchange box, then renamed my temp box to the primary's name, then tried to install Exchange on it. I ran forest prep without a problem, but when I get to the ME Messaging and Coll. piece, it fails. I am running the 'disasterrecovery' switch when kicking off exch setup. I have been able to do this in the past, this is the only server I have run into this problem with. I would like to attempt this install again this week, but as you know, I need to take down our email for a couple of hours to try this again. I want to make sure I have a couple of things to try before I take down the server again. Thanks!
kapt

Thanks for the help. The problem was solved, and it appears it was caused because the site replication service on the Exchange 5.5. box was not starting correctly. After doing so, the install completed and everything looks ok.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back