Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange SAN product options 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

umbletech

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2006
Hi All

Picked up a project for an R&D division - mix of engineers, techs and academics.

Initial pilot's about 1100 users. Eventually over 4000 users if the pilot works well.

They're looking at going EMC/IBM but I'd like to look at HP gear as I like HP servers.

So I guess what I need are product options for:

- A blade chassis for the front end serves
(basically web servers)
- A couple of more highly speced servers that
are cluster friendly for the mailbox servers.

- A SAN to put the Databases on which I can
incorporate into the final solution.

So if you could give me some quick links or product names and opinions (what to go with/what to stay clear of) I'll do much happy RTFM. Thanks

EMC Clariion CX3-20/40/80 for SAN Storage
EMC DS24-M2/McData 4500 Sphereon SAN Switch

What is the purposing of the SAN gear? Will the I/O performance be out the roof on the exchange server? You could look at also doing iSCSI based array such as the EMC CXi300 or CXi500. This would let you leverage the existing IP infrastructure if there is room with very little expansion.

HP's Storage works well... but your Storage and Servers don't need to have the same nameplate... pick the best of breed.... in some ways, "disk is disk" unless you can get some real value towards your apps...

Since you're running Exchange, why not look at NetApp? Besides their storage, they have a "Snap Manager for Exchange" software piece and "Single Mailbox Restore" piece that completely changes your backup/restore scenarios....

Another option might be Equalogic iSCSI systems... their performance goes up as you add additonal shelves....

HP's EVA's used to be pretty cool, but all they've done is bumped up their perforance lately ....nothing much else :( .. IMHO of course :)

As always thanks guys. Was a closed tender unfortunately. Don't have the infrastructure for iSCSI. Looks like I've been cut down on the backups to backup exec for shared storage. Any tips on that?

Pay close attention to the IBM blades, and the HBA version and driver, if you go this route. Make sure the driver is stable and compatible with the SAN you end up using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back