Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Rule - Stripping attachment from autoforward

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitrokid

Technical User
Sep 14, 2005
GB
Hi

We have a new mailbox in exchange set up to receive files from a client.

What we need is for this mailbox to autoforward a template ,just saying that a new email has arrived, to 6 people in our organisation. They do not need the file, just a template saying:

'A new email has arrived in the xxxxx mailbox'

Is there any script out there that can automatically do this? or an outlook 03 plugin maybe?

cheers in advance

Stu

at the moment, we want it exactly like in my first post. A public folder is not our preferred method

ok so then log in to the mailbox with the user and create a rule or filter to notify those user that new mail has arrived

tried it, there is no specific option to notify any other users...

you can use a blank rule set to where my name is in the to field click next and then use foward to a certein group or person

yes, the problem being that it will forward the attachment too. I don;t want that. It will bulk up mailbox sizes of normal users

exchange 2003 only keeps once insance of an attachment so if 50 people got the same attachment it wouldnt matter

Create a rule.

1. start from blank rule
2. check messages when they arrive
3. which has an attachment
4. have server reply using a specific message

An untitled message pops up. fill in to:, subject, and your text. Make sure you resolve the name in the to: field. click save and close.

Just tested. It works. The only side effect is that the specific message also goes to the original sender unless you have disabled automated replies to the internet on the exchange server.

Theres the problem. I can't have emails going back to the sender, and we need internet auto-replys enabled for when users are away.

Hmm well in that case:

1) A simple smtp onarrival event sink could be written to trigger an email. However, you have the additional overhead of maintenance.

2) MAPILab rules for exchange could help?

Theres the problem. I can't have emails going back to the sender, and we need internet auto-replys enabled for when users are away"

I don't know about. Put on your thinking cap. If you create a DG that contains the internal addresses you want to sent the message to, and instead of putting the address on the "TO:" lone of the template you put it on the BCC, and you come up with some creative wording like "Your message to XXXXXX has been received.", It might not be such a bad thing. The external user gets confirmation that their message arrived, and your internal group of users gets the notification they wanted, all while protecting the internal addresses from external exposure.

The external user does not want an autoreply at all though...

Do you regularly send from the mailbox in question? A restriction on the smtp connector would stop the reply, or any mail from that mailbox, from going external. Just a thought.

very good point. I dont send anything from the mailbox, so I could block the smtp access. Nice one

Ill test it and update

Right guys, I have tried sending a reply with the extra recipients in both the 'to' amd 'cc' fields, and they do not get the mail. The original user only gets it. hrm

I can't beleive this isnt one of the simple ideas that Microsoft had when including these rules...

You have to resolve the recipient in the form before you save it, or it won't send. I discovered this while testing.

Make sure the account associated with the mailbox is allowed to send to the DG if you are sending to a DG.

ok guys

The problem is that the reply will work, but not for forwarded mails. we had the attachment forwarded to one other user in our domain, then his computer would send out the replys, so the sender would actually be our inbox for the client, and not the client themselves (who we didnt want to contact)

So now that this doesn't work, we need to do it direct from the inbox that the file came to from the Client. As I said, we do not want the reply message going to the sender, just the people in our organisation.

Now my question is, how do I block a specific mailbox (but not the whole domain) from being an address that this mailbox can send to? We have 2 SMTP connectors, the primary one being forwarded by DNS, and the backup on being the SMTP at the ISP...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back