Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Remote Agent? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

llam

Programmer
Feb 12, 2002
CA
I installed Backup Exec on a backup server.
It does file backup from three other servers through the network. I install Remote Backup Agent remotely on to the three servers. They have no problem.
I have an Exchange Server running on a machine other than the backup server. I want to do exchange backup. However, I do not have an option to install Remote Exchange Agent on to the Exchange machine.
I believe because there's no Exchange Remote Agent, I cannot see the Stores and Mailbox in Backup Exec when I try to browse the Exchange Server.
How do I install Exchange Remote Agent?
I purchased the licenses and got the trail program from the web. Does it mean that I am missing the Exchange Remote Agent part? I tried to look up the file on Veritas.com, but the link for Exchange Remote Agent is pointing to the file for the Backup Exec main program.
Really need help. Thanks!!

-- llam

Installing the Exchange Agent
If this is the initial installation of Backup Exec, and you also want to install additional
components, refer to “Installing Backup Exec” on page 43
 To install the Backup Exec Exchange Server Agent:
1. If Backup Exec is already installed, and you want to install another option, such as the
Exchange Agent, close the Backup Exec application.
2. Insert the Backup Exec Installation CD, and then when the browser screen appears,
click Exit.
3. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add/Remove
Programs.
4. Do one of the following:
 For Windows 2000, at the Add/Remove Programs dialog box, select VERITAS
Backup Exec, and then click Change/Remove.
 For Windows NT, on the Install/Uninstall tab on the Add/Remove Programs
Properties dialog box, select VERITAS Backup Exec, and then click Add/Remove.
The Program Maintenance dialog box appears.
5. Click Install Additional Options, and then click Continue.
6. Click Install Backup Exec software or options on this computer.
A dialog that requests your serial numbers appears.
7. Enter the serial number for the Exchange Agent and any other options, and then click
Add.
The serial number appears in the Existing Serial Numbers field.
8. After providing serial number information, click Next.
A list of Backup Exec components appears.
9. Select the Exchange Agent and any other appropriate components to install.
Backup Exec’s program files are installed in the default directory (<drive>:\Program
Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT). Click Browse if you want to choose another
directory for the installation. Click Disk Space to view the space available on the
destination volume.

m

Hi

The Exchange agent is installed on the Backup Exec server no matter where the Exchange server is. Just as the previous suggestion. Another thing is that you will have to install the Exchange administrator on the Backup Exec server as well. Making sure that it has the same Service Pack as the Exchange server it self. If you want to Backup individual mailboxes you will also have to make sure that the Backup Exec server has a MAPI client installed eg: (Outlook 98) and create a mailbox for the Backup Exec service account. The backup Exec service account is the account that starts the Backup Exec services.

Thank you for the reply!
I installed Exchange Agent. Still can't see the stores on the exchange server. I tried to install Exchange System Management Tools on the Backup Server, but it does not allow me to do so. (Also tried installing it on DC, did not work neither.) I read some instruction on the net saying it may be caused by replication problem. I tried repadmin, but it does not seem to have problem. Can you think of anything that forbidden me to install System Manager on the Backup Server?

I also tried the alternative that I read online. Something like creating c:\exchsrvr\bin and copy the dll file into that directory. Add the registry, and Backup Exec should able to read the exchange without installing System Manager.
But it did not solve my problems.

Many thanks to your help!!

-- llam

O.k

The alternative should work. Make sure that the ESEBCLI2.dll is the same version on both the Exchange server and Backup Exec server. Have you tried stopping and restarting Backup Exec services? Also which account are you logged on as? You should be logged on as the Backup Exec service account. Also check to see if the Backup Exec service account has full permissions in Exchange. Right click on the Exchange ORG in syatem manager and select delegate control the account should have full permissions.

As to why you cannot install system manager iam not sure. Have you check the Microsoft support site?

I restarted the service, now I can see the stores (with the alternative solution). It runs fine I believe.
Still can't install System Manager, but I will leave it for now. Thanks!!

-- llam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back