Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange redundancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcephus

Technical User
Apr 28, 2005
CA
Hello All,

Im looking for an exchange 2003 fail over best practice guid to look over? Idealy I would like to have another server setup as a dormant exchagne server incase something happens to the main exchange server. Any suggestions?

Where?

At the same location? - MSCS

At a distant location?

What is your SLA for failover?

Real low? - a Geocluster

A bit higher? - Cold standby & replication

We could go on, however you never really stated what the requirement was.

What is on trck and double take? Are those websites or books? Could you provide me with some more information as to what sort of resources those are? Thanks.

This server will be located in a different office connected through VPN. Would MSCS still be a good opion in this case? SLA, well the downtime should be as low as possible

It would seem that Geocluster would be a good option for minimul down town.

Using MSCS for distance clusters has a few requirements:

1. 500ms round trip latency max for the heartbeat.
2. The NICs have to be on the same subnet, so a vlan would have to stretch the WAN connection.
3. You have to mirror the disks across the WAN.

I don't think a VPN connection is going to cut it. Exactly how much available bandwidth do you have? What is the change delta for the Exchange data? Possibly replication and a cold standby server would work in your situation.

Doubletake is a replication utility by NSI software. Ontrack is a company specializes in data recovery. I think the other post was actually referring to powercontrols which is an exchange data recovery utility made by ontrack.

might I suggest a product called NeverFail.

we use it for SQL and a file server... working towards exchange once my implementation is finalized.

I've been impressed by this product. Technical support is great. the one downside it is costly. But you know the old saying "you get what you pay for".

Mark C.
Network Admin - Digital Draw Network

ontrack and double take are both applications that provide improved DR. Neverfail is a similar product and equally good.

MSCS provides improved uptime but costs a lot more, takes a good deal of setting up and when the cluster goes down it goes down splat. But get it right and you'd probably never have a moment down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back