Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulkmail

MIS
Jun 11, 2002
US
I have GS 5.5 SP2 on exchange. Should I also have VS7? Does anyone know if that is a recommended config?

Thanks,

BM

If this machine is a DEDICATED mail server, no need. If however, files are being saved outside of Exchange, it would be recommended to have VSE 7.0 installed.

AVChap
... WARNING: The Surgeon General says to take my advise at your own risk.

Just for my own knowledge, if it is a dedicated Exchange server and you only have GS installed, is the OS protected?

GroupShield only checks mail traffic passing through the server it's installed on, so if you want the OS protected you will also need NetShield.

Remember some viruses will copy infected files to any available shares on your servers so it's a good idea to ensure all your servers have an AV product scanning their local drives

File based protection on your Exchange server is as important as on any other member server. The only servers that I would rate higher are DMZ servers and File Servers. Be sure to exclude all of the Exchange database and log files from file based scanning as they are covered under the GSE umbrella. The paths to the files can be found with Exchange Admin - Server container - Individual Server properties - Database paths tab. I exclude the entire directories listed here. If you want to be more exact - look at the file based backup failure (or exclusion) log to find out what files are failing the file based backups - e.g. they are open. The priv and pub.edb etc. are the ones that you want to exclude.

These files should be exluded so that Exchange and GSE are not fighting over the resource and to minimize the possibility of corruption.

[fish]

Thanks guys. I got the info I needed. If anyone else is interested here is that to exclude if you are installing both.

Exclude the following GroupShield directories:
--\program files\...\GroupShield Exchange\i386\qtinewrk (quarantine work
directory)
--\program files\...\GroupShield Exchange\i386\Quarantine (qtine.mdb reside here; exclude for performance reasons)
--\program files\...\GroupShield Exchange\Log (logfile.mdb resides here; exclude for performance reasons)
--\\program files\...\GroupShield Exchange\i386\qtineext

Exclude the following Exchange directories- (NetShield will cause performance and other issues with scanning of .edb files and transaction
logs)

--\exchsrvr\mdbdata (store data)
--\exchsrvr\imcdata (smtp processing)
--\exchsrvr\dsadata (directory service)
--\exchsrvr\mtadata (message transfer agent)
--\exchsrvr\tracking.log\*.log (exclude if message tracking is enabled;
do not exclude the directory since it is shared)

BM

The tracking.log folder really should be included. It's always shared and it only contains text files (they are not transaction logs) so there should be no harm in scanning them.

I should say at this point that that on our two Exchange servers we have GroupShield installed and NetShield 4.5. The only folder that's excluded is the MDBDATA folder containing priv.edb and pub.edb. We have no problems with this configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back