Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange/Outlook profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00blar

MIS
Aug 19, 2003
US
I recently moved several user mailboxes from their office server (branch office) to the corporate office server. All these servers are in the same Administrative group, and all these servers are running Exchange 2003 SP2.

After sucessfully moving these mailboxes, their Outlook profiles still point to the old Exchange server. The exchange installation on those servers was removed (a week later after those mailboxes were moved), so those exchange servers no longer appear in the administrative group.

I know there's a command line tool to update outlook profiles, but that's used only when I move the mailboxes to a different administrative group.

Any ideas as to what might be going on?

Thanks.

Once you move mailboxes to another server, you should leave the old server up until all users have started Outlook at least once. Do that will cause Outlook to automatically update the profile to point to the right server.

You could create a DNS record for the old server and point it to the IP of the new server.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

The servers were removed a week later, and during that week I made sure that all these users logged on to their mailboxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back