Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Online Default Retention Policy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newb2IT

IS-IT--Management
Oct 6, 2008
US
Our Organization just started using Exchange Online this past Tuesday (90 users). We were told that to migrate all of our "old" email (from a pst file) all we had to do was an import of the old pst file into the new Exchange Online Account. This worked great....even people's pst files that were huge (a few gigs) are now on the new Exchange Online Account.

But now users' "Deleted Items" folder (which contained deleted emails that dated back to 10 years ago) ONLY showed the last 30 days of emails! For some reason any deleted emails that was older than 30 days was deleted/moved, bottom line is that they were no longer there.

After some investigation I found that Exchange Online by default starts applying a Default Retention Policy that probably caused the issue. I was able to recover those emails using the recovery option but now I am very concerned that maybe other emails from different folders's in Outlook were deleted as well?....Does any one know exactly if the Default MRM Policy is (or will be) automatically deleting./moving/archiving others email in other folders as well? what other things is the Default MRM Policy doing to our email ?Or does the default policy only apply to the deleted items folder? and no other Outlook folders?

Would it be better to just delete the Default MRM Policy so that no emails at all will get moved/deleted ?? Right now I am considering deleting the Default MRM Policy since I dont know what other emails are also being deleted...but i dont know if that is gonna work or maybe even cause more problems (such as not being able to recover items).

This article is the best reference for this question:

In essence, Deleted Items and Junk Mail both have the 30-day retention set by default. Additionally, if personal Archive mailboxes have been enabled, messages will be moved into them once they are two years old.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back