Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange on DC - Need to change domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulW1977

MIS
Aug 12, 2004
US
I now know one of Many reasons why Exchange should not be installed on a DC. I didn't like it when we did it, but thats water under the bridge. Now I need to fix it.

I have a Windows 2003 DC with Exchange 2003 Installed. We have our own domain, but share a forest with a former corporate owner.

The problem is, we have been sold and I need to remove my server from the existing forest and join the new domain as a member server all at the same time keeping exchange running.

Something tells me this is going to require un-installing exchange, re-installing it and loading mailboxes one at a time from PST's.

Someone tell me there is a better way

Ain't gonna happen. If you demote or unjoin a domain from a DC holding Exchange, you're server is belly up.

Exmerge the data, uninstall Exchange, demote the server, unjoin the old domain, join the new domain, /forestprep & /domainprep the new domain, then reinstall Exchange and exmerge the data back in.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back