Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exchange new project

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazar60

Technical User
Jun 3, 2005
EG
-single domain in single forest with 5 sites.
- in site no.1 there will be front end exchange server and forest root domain controller.

- in the rest of sites there will be DC for the existing domain and exchange server for each site.
in my opinion, every DC will have OU's, each OU represent one site or one branch office, and then delegate admin. to each system admin. for his branch office.

now what about the exchange servers??
would each exchange have all mail boxes for all the org, or every exchange will have it's branch office mail boxes only?
and if so, how would i configure the front end server to FW the desired mail to the approtiate exchange server.

Thanks
gazar

This should be fairly straight forward.

You are right in your OU design having OUs per geographical site.

Each local exchange server will have the local user's mailboxes on it. Exchange will sort the rest out for you - it will know what users are in what sites ans route mail automatically. Just have one point of SMTP mail delivery and Exchange will do the rest!

another question, the clients supposed to retrieve their mails from the front end server, pop3 and IMAP.

is it possible to pop mail from the loacl back end servers also the IMAP clients, would they be able to connect and recieve mails from the back end local server??

thanks
gazar

Each of the servers in each site would be a front end server allowing users to collect from the local server usign whatever protocols you enable.

Unless you are running a huge organsiation there is no real need for front & back end server separation.

Mike

There is always another way..........

[yinyang]

excuse me, if we asumed that we have one front end server in one site: server1
and about 10 servers containingg the mail boxes of the users in each site.
so each user can confgiure his incoming mail server or exchange server to be the front end one (server1) , also he can configure the local server (one of the 10) to be his exchange server, this will be the same.
what i want to do, is to let users collect thier mails from outside the org. through the front end server, and to collect mails from inside through the back end servers to minimize the traffic between sites.

Thanks again.
gazar

Yes that should be just fine.

Leave the site servers as both front & back end and set the border exchange to be a pure front end server.

It will pull mail from the apprioriate back end server as required for Outlook Web Access or other conenction methods.

Mike

There is always another way..........

[yinyang]

how to configure one server for both functions?
when i use system manager it conatins one recipient folder, but many servers, all servers in the org.
u mean after making changes in the recipient folder, just check all servers in the server properties to be front end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back