Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetherave100

Technical User
May 14, 2002
GB
Hi
Does anyone know how to do this??
We have windows 2k clients who all have seperate mandatory profiles.
We also use outlook as well as exchange messenger internally.
The problem is that when a users profile is a DAT file, users can update their messenger contacts with no problem, but then when we change the profile to a mandatory one, and contacts that are added or deleted get lost on the next logoff/logon.
Does anyone know of a way round this as we cant really use it as it is with man files, but we dont want to let our staff have roaming profiles.
Thanks

I may be misunderstanding your question, but a mandatory profile is different from a roaming profile. A mandatory profile is designed to let you make changes while you're logged onto it, but not save those changes. This way the next time you log on, it will be back to its original settings. This feature is by design.

You can allow users to have a .dat profile that they can change and save to without it being a roaming profile, simply by having the profile on the local machine. You stated you have W2k clients, so I'm assuming there would not be a problem with the profile being on the local machine.

As a lot our users move from machine to machine we keep all our profiles on our servers. We also do all the setting up of the profiles for the users under a dat file then we change it to a mandatory then let them have it back. We dont allow any customising at all.
Which is gonna be a problem for messenger, why the contacts arent kept within the exchange mailbox as is the outlook contacts etc i dont know, just doesnt seem to be.
The system we have seems to work very well,..means more work for us, but it works and we cant change it just to let users add and delete contacts. We cant even pick up the global address list..contacts have to be added one by one as far as i can see??
To say its the exchange messenger client it doesnt seem to interect very much with exchange.
Thanks

Hello,

I do not know how many users you have on mandatory profiles, but I was just thinking that you could use a login script to import a .REG file into the registry as a person logs in that has all the Exchange Messenger contacts in it. Or perhaps even update the mandatory profile with the necessary registry information.

I did a little digging and found my Exchange Instant Messenger contact list stored in the registry at the following location:

\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\Messenger\Profiles\<IM Server URL>\Contacts

The IM server url might be something like
I have not tested this, it is just a brainstorm I had.

Thanks Xorcon thats great, I added users in the registry and there they are.!
So, something i dont know how to do is the importing the updated registry into the users registry.
We have about 310 users with seperate mandatory profiles.
Do i export that part of the registry, then call the file from the login script?.
If it is done like that, then all our users could import the same reg update (basically the contacts just needs to reflect the global exchange address list for all the users.
It would be a long contact list, but thats how the boss wants it to be.!
We havent used login scripts as of yet, so any help would be appreciated..have you any examples?
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back