Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Management Console Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2010
US
Folks,

We have Exchange 2007 setup on an SBS2008 box. Recently, when we try and load the EMC, we have been receiving a strange error (error below). Not sure how to make of it? We cannot make any changes within EMC. We have rebooted several times, checked the eventvwr and still cannot seem to resolve this error?

Note: We can send/receive emails from OWA, Outlook, and our Smartphones without fail.

Any tips/suggestions?

--------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Exchange Error
The following error(s) were reported while loading topology information:

get-ExchangeServer
Failed
Error:
An Active Directory error 0x8007203A occurred while searching for domain controllers in domain domain.local: The server is not operational.

Name: "domain.local"

The server is not operational.

get-UMServer
Failed
Error:
An Active Directory error 0x8007203A occurred while searching for domain controllers in domain domain.local: The server is not operational.

OK

How many DCs in the AD site that Exchange is in? I haven't looked at a 2007 server in quite a while, but if you open the management shell, can you look things up? What if you do a Get-AdServerSettings? What does it report for DCs?

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com Swag? I've got mine!.

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

1DC - which is also the Exchange server. When I send the command within the shell I get an error: The term 'Get-AdServerSettings' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file. Verify the term and try again.
At line:1 char:20

Yeah, couldn't recall if that command was valid back in 2007. What if you try your administrative tasks in the Exchange Management Shell. Do they work? Do you have the Exchange management tools installed on a workstation?

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com Swag? I've got mine!.

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

Look at the automatic services and ensure that they are all working.

If you start exchange powershell, do you get in there or do you get a winrm error?

58sniper: some of the commands work, however, when I send Get-ExchangeServer, I get the same error as EMC.
I don't have EMT deployed, however, can I download this? ?For a 64bit server? I can't seem to locate the 64bit version of EMT; is it only on the media?

Zelandakh: which services should I be looking for? The most common ones appear to be running. I am able to start powershell and issue commands.

All automatic ones should be running.

OK, so it isn't a winrm issue if PS works.

What has changed?

Hi Zelandakh,

The only thing changed in the last month or so was swapping out the memory from 8GB to 12GB

UPDATE!!

So, we disabled the firewall (built-in) on the server and NOW we can access AD, EMC, and so on... Very bizarre. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back