Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange loop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 14, 2003
US
Does anyone know where the setting (registry or exchange admin) is on Exchange 5.5 that stops this sort of loop from occuring?

message loops occur when an Exchange user sets up a rule to autoforward mail to an external account. The message encounters some external problem (e.g., the external account has exceeded its quota) and generates a nondelivery report (NDR). Because the Exchange account is configured to autoforward new messages, it automatically autoforwards the NDR, which the external account rejects and which causes another NDR—thus forming a loop.

Am I missing something here? Why don't you fix the address to which you are "auto-forwarding"? After all, if it's an invalid address, why would you want to auto-foward to it?

First of all, change the users SMTP address (ie, if it was originally abc@tektips.com, temporarily add a zz and make it zzabc@tektips.com. This will stop inbound mails going to the mailbox so that you can work on it.

Then log into the mailbox and cancel the autoforwarding rule. Shift delete all the mails, after configuring the 'deleted item retention time' to 0 days. That way you will completely delete all the crap mails from the mailbox, from the deleted items box and off the server as well.

Once you got the mailbox working and down to size, re configure the users SMTP address back. Its always a good policy to discourage autoforwarding to external mailboxes for this particular reason, amongst others. And you might have to defrag your Exchange Server to compact the database and reclaim all the fragmented space.

Who's that girl! :)

You guys are missing the point... Sure, it is not good policy to forward to their Internet mail service. But you know what, we are tasked with working with users who feel that this is okay... Get my point??????? I am looking for a setting that thwarts this in case they do. Post only real solutions please... :eek:)

It amazes me how many people post asking for help, get soem help that might not be exactly what they wanted to hear and fly off the handle.... chill out.

As far as I am aware there is not.

Sure, it can be VERY frustrating but sometimes policy change may be the best (or only) solution to some issues. Suggestions: You might ask your IT management to introduce the idea via their management chain (to secure policy approval) that: 1. Company e-mail actually belongs to the company and shouldn't be forwarded or sent to employees' private e-mail accounts. 2. Company e-mail services shouldn't be used for employees' personal e-mailing. 3. Have them get approval to implement Outlook Web Acess as the IT supported way for employees to easily access company/organization e-mail from off-site, eliminating forwarding. [Remember, we're trying to help if we can, we're all facing these types of issues :)]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back