Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exchange logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Dec 17, 2007
ZW
hie guys

i have a situation where disk space is being filled up with the exchange logs on the exchange server, i know that backup clears up the logs right.

my question is ,besides pointing the logs to another drive on the sever is it possible to move the logs from the mdbdata folder to another location, excluding the priv.edb of course, reboot the server and move the logs to their old location and then backup.

in case you may be wondering , i have a situation where one of the students forgot to do backup and the disk space on the server is critically low such that i fear if i reboot the server , it will crash

help pliz guys

carol
believe in all possibilities

A full backup should indeed clear the logs.

Do you mean an off-server location?

You can do it but you'd have to shut down the Exchange Information Store service and set all XC services to manual so they don't come back up when you reboot. Then move log files off and reboot.

If you mean a different drive on the server then that is a simple matter of going into the properties of the storage group and selecting another location for the logs. All stores in that storage group will be dismounted while the move takes place of course. You could leave them in the new place afterwards as well. Exchange backups don't care where the log files are as such.

Neill

thanks ntilin

i meant to move to like a removable device

, the thing is the microsoft information store was not running at the time ,but the all the other services, so the student wanted to reboot the server to get the informatin store up, but the problem was the disk space, so i want to know if its okay to move around the logs to free space and the deposit them back and backup.

i dont want to change the location of the logs i mean to point them to another drive on the server,

please advise me on any after effects of the action taken by the student if any

carol

A full backup will clear the logs. If you can't backup more frequently, then cosider doing an incremental to supplement. In incremental will clear the logs as well.

thanks xmsre

i will take that advice

carol

Keep a couple of things in mind. Transaction Logs DIRECTLY impact user experience. It is recommended that those be on the fastest drives possible. Moving them to an external drive, such as a USB drive, would be a mistake, IMNSHO.

Run a quick backup and clear them. If your server is having problems with disk space when a single backup is missed, time to address that. That's cutting things very close.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP

An incremental just backs up the logs, then truncates them. It's fast on backup, but on restore you have to restore your full and incrementals then replay all the logs. If you're constained on log space and can handle the added restore complexity, it's probably your best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back