Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange is running slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

epayne

MIS
May 17, 2002
US
Greetings,
Over the last 2 weeks, I have noticed my Outlook 2002(running MAPI) is taking a long time to open email messages. About 30secs for a 1MB email. This is also happening on many of my other client machines as well. I am running Ex 2000 sp3 on win2k sp3 with all current updates. We are also using Novell 5.x and 6.x servers with the latest Novell clients. Has anyone else noticed this? It is starting to get annoying.

Hello,

I had a similar problem once.

1. Have you tried making sure your virtual memory is 2 times your RAM. I know this is only a 1 mb message but give this a shot. It worked for me.

2. Also have you done on off line defrag lately?

I have verified that my virtual memory is at 4Gb. I haven't done an offline defrag using eseutil yet. We have had the server up for about 7mo. and I did notice that windows stated my Exchange server partition has 99% of the files defragmented. Should I use windows to do the defrag or will the eseutil do it. It also stated that my system partition is defragmented as well, but no exchange files sit on it. Are there any tips or useful sites for performing an offline defrag? I saw Microsoft's but it did not look helpful. We have four different stores at about 6 Gb each. Thank you for any help you can give me.

How is disk space on the machine? Also check antivirus scanning as it causes many problems if not configured correctly. I think the offline defrag is also a good idea if it hasn't been done before. You will need to use Microsofts ESEUTIL and make sure you have enough room on the disk to make a backup of the databases. Since the defrag hasn't been done before, you may also want to look at the integrity of the databases to make sure there is not corruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back