Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Fax server

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcp

Technical User
May 15, 2001
ID
Hello,
i have Exchange 5.5 running on NT4.i would like to provide our employees with the FAX facility in such a way that they can send fax through out look.i have seen some evaluation versions of fax servers but i want to try some free ware.
is it possible that i install the fax card on another pc and use it for sending fax instead of installing the fax card on the exchange server.
Thanks in advance
Regards,
parasuram

Hi, I've used a product which uses a separate fax server, which had the modems in it. The Exchange server and the fax server communicate via a gateway the program installs.

The users compose a fax through their inbox, and if you have enough phone lines (or DID line) you can route them back to their inbox. It may have the ability to route without DID, but I never needed the inbound feature.

I used Fax Sr. by Omtool. It isn't freeware.

Dan

Not exactly in answer to your question, but if it helps, I use CA faxserve on an exchange 5.5 server, 3 modems, (2 public 1 limited), and it works fine.

It integrates nicely with Outlook/MS Office too - the fax send facility is just presented as a printer, so in fact will work with any application.

Another non-free product is RightFax. If you have several offices around the country you can route faxes to remote servers and save long distance charges. Product is solid but $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back