Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange ESEUTIL /D advice required 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrivenj

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2003
GB
Hi,

I am running Exchange 2000 and have recently been having lots of errors due to running out of space (the physical disk size is fine but am hitting Exchange limits).

I have purchased a third party archiving tool but have not had a chance to properly implement it and Exchange has hit the limit:-

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: ESE
Event ID: 445

Information Store (2624) The database D:\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb has reached its maximum size of 16384 MB. If the database cannot be restarted, an offline defragmentation may be performed to reduce its size.

For more information, click ---------------------------------------------------------------------

This morning it dismounted and could not get it to mount again.

I decided to try an offline defrag and ran the ESEUTIL /D command against the Private Information Store.

This seemed to work OK and as I know that the space problems are within this database (plus this is a production server which has been down all morning) I then did a backup and didn't run the utility against the Public information store.

This seemed to free up space and I was able to get Exchange running, however now I have a system which seems to be slow and event log entries :-

Source: ESE
Event ID: 602

Information Store (884) Database 'D:\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb': Background clean-up skipped pages. The database may benefit from widening the online maintenance window during off-peak hours. If this message persists, offline defragmentation may be run to remove all skipped pages from the database.

For more information, click

I am a bit confused as it is telling me that the solution is to run a defragmentation whereas this is actually what has caused the message in the first place.

Do I need to run another pass of the defragmentation ?? Should I have also ran something else at the same time as I did the original defrag ??

What will happen if I just leave this till tonight's online maintenance ?? Will it resolve the problem or am I better pulling it again and doing something right now......

Any advice would be gratefully received.....

Jon Scriven

Because you just ran the utility, and it gave that message...it most likely means it should be resolved once the on-line maintenance takes effect. Like it says, if you get the same message tommorow, then you have another issue to contend with.

One thing you might want to check to see if your Backup window is running into the exchange maintence window, although this usally doesn't cause problems, it might in your case due to the size of the database.

I would impose limits on peoples mailboxes and or create another staorgae group and move some of the mailboxes into it. That way you reduce the size of the current database

TheMoogy

Just to let you know that the online defrag overnight sorted everything out.

Thanks for the advice !!

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back