Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryRumson

Technical User
Jan 23, 2002
US
We are getting this error every hour. I have restarted all of the exchange services but this still occurs. If I reboot the server then it goes away. However I can not reboot the server every 10 days which is when this error starts to occur.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MSExchangeIS
Event Category: Performance
Event ID: 9582
Date: 2/4/2003
Time: 9:23:22 AM
User: N/A
Computer: MERCURY
Description:
The virtual memory necessary to run your Exchange server is fragmented in such a way that performance may be affected. It is highly recommended that you restart all Exchange services to correct this issue.

For more information, click

Wow, we have 60 users here and pretty we have a similiar situation here too. Where i would need to restart Information Store services just to clear up some virtual memory from the C drive. Clearing it from 744MB to 2.56 GB free. This is a very odd and interesting issue.

I thought it was some sort of spam issue or that maybe our mailbox is approaching too big.

Love always,
Kevin Z
Techncial Support specailist
kevin@hsmc.com

what kind of antivirus are you both running?

/Bart

RUnning Norton Coporate Edition. Love always,
Kevin Z
kevin@hsmc.com

Mcafee Group shield with outbreak manager.

I am running SP3 on my exchange server 2000 Love always,
Kevin Z
kevin@hsmc.com

We are also running exchange service pack 3 and my file version number is higher than what the Q articles says it should be in previous post.

The problem you are hitting is indeed virtual memory fragmentation. The best ways of dealing with this are the /3Gb switch and the application of both Exchange and Windows SP3.

Ex2k SP3 specifically has a lot of VMF fixes (I believe and the key component from Win2k is the updated scsiport.sys).

Run some perfmon against the box and find out the amount of free system PTE's you have and the maximum block size you have. Ideally you should be looking for greater than 7k free PTes unless you just have one big block free (which seems to be equally as good).

Search MS.COM for System PTE's.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back