Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Error Message - Name could not be resolved from address book 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmstenner

Technical User
Jul 22, 2002
AU
Hey Guys,

We have a windows nt server 4.0. running exchange server 5.5, recently a new persons computer was put onto the network and when "exchange server" was tried to be added to the persons mail profile, it returned the following error message"

Microsoft exchange - the name could not be resolve.d the microsoft exchange address book was unable to log on to the microsoft exchange server computer. contact your system administrator if the problem persists.

I can ping the mail server fine, everyone elses computers work fine, i have tried using the persons full exchange mail name, and various other layouts, but i think the problem is more sinister, any ideas?

Thanks,

Brendan

Have you tried adding this person from another computer? Are you sure the network connection on this new persons PC is good (Can you connect to other network resources?) I know this sounds like a basic check, but recheck his exchange account and verify what his alias is. Make sure there are no spaces before the first letter in the first name, etc. Have you also tried logging in as the Exchange Administrator from his workstation and try getting into his mailbox that way?

The problem could be WINS or DNS related. Check that DNS and WINS settings are correct on the PC that is having problems.

If someone annoys you, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you'll be a mile away from them, and you'll have their shoes :eek:)

Also instead of putting the Exchange server name , try putting the ip address of the exchange server.

I think Bremmersz is definitely on the right track. Check DNS and especially WINS. Can you add ANY name from that computer? If not, look to DNS or WINS.
Dana

Hey guys,

Thanks for the info, the complete DNS names, gateway etc are in the Networking connection properties, I can ping the mail server and connect this user from another machine...

I installed the SP2 upgrade for office, hoping this might help, but it didn't, so I think my best option is to just dump the lot, (it was originally a pre-installed OEM windows 2000).

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated,

Have a great christmas and a happy new year!

Brendan

I think Exchange 5.5 uses NetBIOS so your WINS still needs to be correct regardless of whether your DNS is correct and can ping. Even if your computer is using DHCP, if the wrong WINS servers are statically entered, it will override any WINS settings handed out by the DHCP server.

Ok, I have set it to grab the wins from the dhcp server, but still no luck...

thanks!

brendan

Out of curiosity are you able to connect to other network resources from the computer you are having problems connecting to Exchange? Or are you just having problems connecting via outlook?

Hello,

I am able to connect to other network resources, I can ping the mail server etc, I just cant add exchange to the users profile... when I try to check the users name and it returns that error.

Thanks

Brendan

Hey Zoey,

I did read that document, I will read it over again and try once more, I guess trying a few more things than just booting the computer in the head is fair enough..

I will try monday, thanks for all your help, its much appreciated,

Brendan

Hey Brendan

I think I know what's wrong. Happened to me once and believe it or not...removing TCP/IP on the client computer, rebooting and re-adding TCP/IP fixed it. Seems the TCP stack gets corrupted somehow. It kept me baffled for days but this did resolve it for me...go figure.

Lemme know how you make out.

Pikk

I would agree with pikk.

I had similiar problems with Win98 machines in the past.

What OS are you running on the machine that can't connect?

What do you get when you run IPCONFIG or WINIPCFG depending on your OS? Do you get a valid IP, DNS, and WINS server?

Dev

Check the users mailbox name. It has to be spelled exactly as it is on the server. If the recipient is hidden on Exchange, Outlook comes up with the same error message.

Ok guys,

Read the document that zoeythecar emailed me, it worked no problems!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Merry Xmas and happy new year to everyone who helped me!!

:)

Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back